Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nervous Nellie

DNS -31, +4, -2. Positions JDSU, WTW, SSW, MNTA and HAYN did well today.

I'm trying to figure out why I'm so optimistic when I buy. But let the stock go up a nickel and I'm looking for the exit. I can't buy SSW or RES because they've gone parabolic. PTEN and MNTA aren't far behind, not to mention BEXP, WLL, or RBCN. Buying at new 52-week highs is a challenge for me.

Likewise hanging on for the big gains that really build your nest egg has become a problem for me too. Maybe I've become too risk adverse, or distrustful of the markets or companies or the vagaries of the masses. Perhaps just having a working order system for trailing stop loss orders for options might do wonders.

Okay, now that you know I sell too early, you can adjust your strategy. I'm going to go count my blessings now.

PTEN made it onto VectorVest's leader board (#5) so look out. RES is at the top.

Trades!

I got nervous about LH and figured it had gone up more than I expected to so I sold the May calls (+19.8%) then watched it go up some more.

PLAB was in the money so I opted to cash out the April calls. +16.2%

Despite the numbers, SPRD insists on going the wrong way. Shares sold. -7.4%

I bought some May XLE calls.

Reversal alerts: (1) LDR.

No comments:

Post a Comment