Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Haste Makes Waste

Last Thursday I rolled the dice on NFLX and APPL, going short on NFLX will a bear call spread, and long on AAPL with calls. I should have waited a day.

On Friday NFLX blew through my call strikes putting both well ITM. Yesterday NFLX opened up, and both calls were exercised (the buyer's by choice, mine to cover) on my OH account, -100%. With NFLX up 4% yesterday morning, I covered the other spread on my OX account while there was still some value there, -68%.

The deep ITM AAPL call is still a bit underwater, but perhaps moving in the right direction, and I can still sell calls against it.

The point here is that, had I waited a day, my entry points would have been so much better and I'd probably have three winning trades to show for it.

Otherwise, options for EWT & VXX (long) and SPY & XRT (short) have been moving against me. UNG dropped yesterday but is still well away from the $17-strike call I sold. Those are all February options.

I sold my CRZO calls yesterday after letting too much profit get away, +23.8%. There seems to be too much selling pressure after the downgrades to stay in, so I'll take what profit is left and look to re-enter later - maybe.

I sold a March bull put spread on GDX yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment