Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Thou Shalt Not Give Back

I hate to watch a gain turn into a loss. So when a position has a reasonable margin, I put in a stop loss order in case it heads south. That can be a little short sighted I know.

Peter Lynch said if he used 7% stop loss orders he'd have nothing to show but a portfolio of 7% losses. In my defense I have to balance the fact that I often buy on strength, and at the top. Sometimes that's just in time for a correction. Getting stopped out gives me a chance to do more research, re-evaluate my opinion, and re-enter the stock if warranted, hopefully at a lower price.

Anyway, here's the latest ...

EBS spiked down an triggered the SL order, +2.0%. I see this as fairly valued with a forward P/E of 18.6 and a lot of variability in the growth projections. I won't be re-entering near term.

AMAG hit the tripwire too, selling half my position, +0.61%. The intent here is was to lock in some profit and reposition lower in the event of a correction. AMAG is one of my favorites now and I'll be restoring that lot or even adding-on given the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment